So here's the scoop on why Alaska should definitely be taken into consideration when you're scouting locations for your destination wedding. For starters, nature's beauty is free! When visiting Alaska you can literally step off of the plane (or Ferry) walk one hundred yards and be in a gorgeous spot for an impromptu wedding ceremony. Now let's say you would like to plan ahead (and of course use a wonderful planner like Blomma Designs) the possibilities are endless. Whether you're seeking adventure, privacy or a unique setting for your wedding, Alaska is sure to delight!
Did you know:
- Alaska's coastline extends over 6,600 miles ~ That's 6,600 miles of gorgeous wedding ceremony opportunities! You can get married on a boat, or charter a boat to take you to a completely private and secluded area.
- The Tongass National Forest is the largest national forest in the United States ~ If you're looking for a secluded and private place to have a wedding celebration this gives you a vast number of options, I'd say the largest national forest is a good place to go! Where else can you find luxury lodging, delicious catering and event staff smack dab in the middle of beautiful nowhere?
- 17 of the 20 highest peaks in the United States are located in Alaska ~ Do I really need to state the obvious here? Well I will. How would you like to get married atop a mountain or hike up to a private location with a minister, some champagne and a great photographer?
- Most of America's Salmon, Crab and Halibut are sourced in Alaska ~ If you enjoy amazing seafood that is locally sourced we have some of the top restaurants in the nation and we definitely have the freshest seafood. I can't even put into words how wonderful it is to crack open a fresh King Crab leg, dip it in salty butter and proceed to devour......................
- Alaska has over 100,00 glaciers ~ We officially have 616 "named" glaciers, but unofficially Alaska has over 100,000 glaciers. Some couples get engaged or hold small wedding ceremonies using a chartered plane or helicopter that takes them out to a private glacier. If that is just a little bit too extreme for your taste, what a great adventure to have with your new partner and guests hiking out onto one of these beautiful natural phenomenons! Or maybe you would enjoy a relaxing flight seeing tour of Mt. McKinley on your honeymoon?
- Alaskans aren't big on following rules ~ Yes, we follow the important rules, but most people are attracted to life in Alaska because we're laid back and we tend to do whatever we want. You can plan your ultimate destination wedding without any expectations or worry about not being traditional. We've seen it all (and likely done it all) before so you can dream and create your day to be whatever it is that your heart desires!